The third and final full day of the Winter Meetings was a quiet one for the Rays, with not much going on in the way of rumors. Here are the few rumors that did come about yesterday.
- Scott Boras talked a little bit yesterday, saying a one year deal for Johnny Damon is likely. It would be nice if the Rays could re-sign Johnny, but I would look into other options first, like Vlad Guerrero, who has a bit more power.
- Boras also talked about Carlos Pena, saying he will most likely have multi-year offers. You would hope the Rays would at least put an offer in to Pena and see if they can get one of the fan favorites back in St. Petersburg.
- Speaking of Johnny Damon, Ken Davidoff of Newsday tweeted that Johnny Damon would like to come back to the Rays and the interest is mutual.
- Jon Heyman tweeted that the market for Carlos Beltran appears to be thin, citing medicals. Could the Rays sign him to a one-year deal for cheap to play DH? You don’t have to worry about medicals as much at DH and he is still a good hitter that could slot in well in the Rays lineup. We will see if anything comes about.
- Marc Topkin tweeted last night that nothing is imminent on the Rays front. It is not the end of the world if the Rays don’t get anything done before the end of the Winter Meetings, as there is still a lot of offseason left. We will just have to wait and see what the Rays end up doing.
- Finally, a piece of news from a former Ray. ESPN’s Enrique Rojas tweeted that Scott Kazmir made his Dominican Winter League debut last night. It would be nice to see if Kazmir was able to make a comeback and pitch in the Big Leagues again.