There was some more signing news today, as Dan Johnson moved on from the Rays, signing a minor league deal with the White Sox. Johnson will be fighting for a spot in an already crowded first base position for the White Sox, with both Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn already there.
Johnson will always be remembered by the Rays for his game tying homer in game 162 and his memorable September homer against the Red Sox in 2008. Rays fans will always have a soft spot for him, no matter what he does or where he ends up. We wish Dan the best in his future endeavors.
Rays News and Notes
- Have you seen this ring? Matt Garza‘s 2008 AL Championship ring was stolen from his home in Fresno. Chances are it will be found as long as the burglars try to sell it, considering it says Garza’s name on it. If not, this is a pretty big memento for Garza to lose.
- Marc Topkin transcribed a recent appearance by Evan Longoria on Intentional Talk. In the interview, Longo says he has no regrets for signing his team friendly deal early in his career and will worry about a big deal later. Many Rays fans, myself included, would love to see the Rays be the one to break the bank for him. Probably a stretch, but the Rays need him as their franchise cornerstone.
- Yesterday, Russ Canzler was traded to the Indians for cash considerations. Canzler had a chance to make the team as a backup, but was designated for assignment last week to make room for Jeff Keppinger.
- Now for some former Rays news. Juan Cruz was signed to a minor league deal by the Pirates today. The Rays must really be done with their bullpen, or else I would’ve expected them to go after him. Now, the only positions left with any potential for moves are catcher and starting pitcher.
- Finally, the always funny Dirk Hayhurst will be taking his talents to the Italian Baseball League next season.