Ben Zobrist became the final regular to report to camp, arriving in Port Charlotte this morning. With Carlos Pena reporting yesterday, the only players left to report are non-roster invitees Brad Coon, Jesus Feliciano, Hak-Ju Lee and Juan Miranda. Not too many teams can say they had all of their key guys come to camp before they were required. That just proves that the Rays have guys who love to play baseball.
Rays News and Notes
- Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com takes a look at the Rays deep pitching staff. He talks about the Rays eight starters who could make a big league rotation elsewhere.
- Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times also takes a look at the Rays pitching depth. His article focuses on comparing this season’s rotation to those of the Rays past, which just makes you want to cringe. He also includes some interesting quotes on who will be the first Rays starter to win the Cy Young.
- The Herald News of Fall River, Massachusetts takes a look at Brandon Gomes‘ rehabilitation from back surgery. Gomes is expected to be ready for the start of the season, and he will be a big part of the Rays 2012 bullpen.
- Marc Topkin of the Times takes a look at how Chris Gimenez has inserted himself into the competition behind the plate. Gimenez has a leg up on everyone else due to his flexibility. Joe Maddon says Gimenez can play corner infield and outfield, in addition to defending well at catcher.
- Tommy Rancel of ESPNFlorida.com takes a look at some of the non-roster invitees that the Rays have in camp this year.
- Elijah Dukes is at it again. Dukes was arrested on drug charges yesterday in Hillsborough County. It is really sad how far he has fallen, considering he had big potential when he came up with the Rays.