For the second day in a row we have some injury news. New DH Luke Scott will miss the first three to four spring training games as he continues to recover from shoulder surgery. Joe Maddon is taking the cautious approach with Scott, in the hopes of him being at full strength by Opening Day.
Rays News and Notes
- Matt Moore‘s minor abdominal strain I talked about yesterday will keep him out of his batting practice session that was scheduled for tomorrow. The injury is not serious, but once again Joe Maddon wants to be cautious. We can all just hope that he won’t miss any spring starts.
- Stu Sternberg made his first appearance at Rays spring training today. Sternberg said he is “pretty certain” the Rays can succeed in the Tampa Bay area long term. While it may not be in the Trop, or even in St. Petersburg, it is always good to hear Sternberg say things like this. Some of his previous comments have been discouraging on the situation, so this is positive news.
- Beyond the Box Score published their Rays season preview. The sabermetrics site took an in-depth statistical look at the Rays upcoming season.
- Dave Scheiber of Fox Sports Florida takes a look at Desmond Jennings. Scheiber writes about Jennings’ first full season in the big leagues and how he will step into the leadoff spot this season.
- Yahoo! Sports takes a comical look at Luke Scott’s 7 1/2 foot hunting spears, which made an appearance in Port Charlotte yesterday.