Rays News and Notes: Rays Fan Fest Saturday
The Rays annual Fan Fest will be Saturday at the Trop. This year’s Fan Fest is very similar to those of year’s past, with admission and parking being free. All of the usual offerings will be available, with the kids area with whiffle ball, speed pitch and the home to first challenge. The always popular clubhouse tour will be offered and running the bases will be available to all ages.
As usual, the players will be accessible for autographs, Reading with the Rays, and MetroPCS call a friend. The wristbands for autographs will be sold this year for $50 and must be purchased by everyone, including children, a change from last year. All proceeds will go to the Florida chapter of the ALS Association. Head over to The Heater for more information.
Rays News and Notes
- With Fan Fest on Saturday, the Rays will debut Raymond’s new sidekick. DJ Kitty, the mascot will be on hand for pictures on Saturday. I didn’t really like the DJ Kitty thing from the beginning, so I find the mascot unnecessary, but the kids will sure love this new furry character.
- In some more team-related news, the Rays signed catcher Chris Gimenez, according to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune. Gimenez got a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He has spent some time in the big leagues, with little success. Most likely another Durham filler move.
- With the season fast approaching, the season previews are rolling in. Phil Rogers, a normally respectable writer from the Chicago Tribune, wrote a laughable article on the Rays vanishing from the bay area. Rogers seemed to make things up in this post, so read it at your own discretion.
- Yahoo! published their Pressing Questions for the Rays, focusing on the Rays fantasy impact players for the 2012 season. As you might imagine, the Rays have quite a few great fantasy players, so be sure to stock up in your upcoming drafts.
- The Orlando Sentinel also published their Rays questions, offering a good Rays offseason recap. If you have been busy getting soaked up in Tebow-mania or Lin-sanity lately, be sure to read this article.
- Finally, from the tabloid department of RCG, NESN.com is reporting that Evan Longoria is dating Playboy Playmate Jamie Edmondson. My biggest beef? She’s a Red Sox fan. Way to go, Evan.