Tamp Bay Rays: Spring Training injuries and starters
By Austin Reimann
The Tampa Bay Rays open play again tomorrow against the Phillies. Here are some notes on a few injuries have sidelined some players and the Rays pitching plans for the weekend.
Marc Topkin confirmed that one of the Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospects who will be fighting for a spot on the big league roster come opening day, will be sidelined for a handful of weeks. Ian Gibaut will miss several weeks after suffering a mild lat strain.
Matt Duffy will also be out for a couple days after tweaking his left hamstring. One of the main concerns surrounding Duffy is his ability to stay on the field and this isn’t a great start to his spring training, luckily it isn’t serious.
The Rays are planning to start Austin Pruitt on Friday, Ryan Yarbrough on Saturday, and Tyler Glasnow on Sunday. Per Topkin, they are expected to each be one inning starts.
Game times and locations:
Friday: 1:05pm Home v.s. the Phillies
Saturday: 6:05pm Away v.s. the Twins
Sunday: 1:05pm Home v.s. the Yankees
Other Notes per Marc Topkin:
- Kevin Burkhardt of Fox will join the Rays broadcast crew and will fill in when Dewayne Staats is off.
- Kevin Cash met with Joe Torre and other Major League Baseball executives to discuss potential rule changes.
- The lineup for Friday has Daniel Robertson leading off and playing second, Yandy Diaz hitting cleanup and playing third, and Joe McCarthy hitting 9th and playing in right field.
Want your voice heard? Join the Rays Colored Glasses team!
Rays Colored Glasses news:
- Stay posted but expect for the inaugural episode of the Rays Colored Podcast featuring Rylan and myself to be ready early next week.
- Chloe Stowe is breaking down the best second baseman in Rays history. Sean Rodriguez and Miguel Cairo came in at the #5 and #4 spots respectively.
- I am beginning to break down the Rays big league roster piece by piece, discussing possible roster battles and projected starters at each position.